Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lapper / Roller Furling.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lapper / Roller Furling.
    Posted: 08 March 2020 at 10:01pm
Hi Everyone,

Due to lack of boats in the 11X to 13X rating band range, I am going to race the boat this summer with the lapper.

I installed a Harken furler last summer and I hope to roll the jib downwind when racing.  

Does anyone else race with this configuration?   Do you have the battens on the lapper removed?  Or do you install them vertically?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 8:58am
I knew someone who raced that configuration. They got a little phrf bump.
The battens were horizontal. The battens were made of something that looked like a window shade blind; kinda flimsy. As the batten furled it would flatten out. When it was deployed the batten would try to straighten out. They were good racers and the setup did not seem to affect their speed. john
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:49am
We race with roller furling lapper and genoa when needed.  Although I prefer the Lapper.  Vertical battens on the Lapper.  None on the genny.  Harken roller fuller.  We are the boat to beat in a 5-8 boat spin fleet on the Ohio River.  We have a bit of an odd handicapping system that varies by performance twice a year, but our base rating is 138.  I could be handicapped at 10% of 138 either direction based on performance in a scheduled 11 race series.  Obviously, I'm lower right now.  
We have a good record boat for boat (sorry Bill) against the other Laser in our fleet, which has the standard setup.  We seem to point similarly as well.  May not be apples to apples comparison in other aspects though.  I have newer sails than he does. 

For my little phrf racing world it works just fine and I can single hand easily for day sails.

I would suggest conversations with a couple different sailmakers.   

Ron

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic