Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re power with new sail drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry McClintoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re power with new sail drive
    Posted: 13 March 2022 at 12:41pm
Has anyone repowered with a new sail drive and if so what brand works and how did it go Mine is about done and I would prefer not replace it with an outboard
thanks

Gerry
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2022 at 1:08pm
A few boats have repowered but haven’t shared a lot of details. If I had to repower I would consider the Yanmar 1GM10 with the SD25 saildrive, but it wouldn’t be a drop in solution.

Are you having engine or saildrive issues with the Bukh?
Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Gerry McClintoc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry McClintoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2022 at 2:53pm
A bit of both. Big issue is water pump is leaking water into oil. Haven't been able to locate any parts or replacement to fix it. Leg is rough lots of epoxy patches but I have a used spare in Ok shape
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 3:28pm
Replacement pumps are available (Johnson F35B) or you can rebuild your existing pump.

That said the water pump is not usually the source of water in the engine oil. For that to be the case not only the water pump would leak but also the shaft seal on the auxiliary drive, to which the pump is mounted, must also leak. This is unlikely as there is a drain/vent hole on the auxiliary drive so no pressure can build up there.

The most likely cause of water in the oil is a leaking head gasket.

Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Gerry McClintoc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry McClintoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2022 at 12:26am
My water pump drain hole was leaking water and the side of the housing is badly corroded and needed an epoxy patch. Do you know where you may be able to get the Johnson pump I would like to try to replace the pump before I pull the head off to see if that is the problem thanks Gerry   
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:46pm
The pump is easily replacable and there is an upgrade pump - search it on the forum  . Yes it will leak  water into the engine .  The new pump has a roller brering instead of a sleve so the seals last longer as the old one would wear oval .You will either need to grind your existing hold down /bracket or order the new ones (grinding is easy ) .  That Bukh is hard to beat , mechanical fuel pump so she will run with dead batteries and you easily can pull start it . It is stone axe simple . Nothing else is as light or will fit in the same space . Burns just a liter an hour  - efficient . My only complaint is the lackluster charging . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Kentbrownlow View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentbrownlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 1:19am
Several years ago I replaced my water pump with a Volvo part.
I forget the actual part number, but it fit perfectly and the leaks stopped!

Full Circle
Grey Erik #242
Now with a new owner!
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 4:14pm
OMG! Do not change out that beautiful Bukh, nor its sail drive for anything else because of a leaky water pump. They are both wonderful pieces of machinery and are easy to fix. There are plenty of parts available to do whatever you need. Any change will wreck to boat in my opinion, other than to retain the sail drive and switch out to an electric motor with battery power. Here in BC, two Laser's have done that within a budget of CAD$6,000.

Frank
Geoff Coke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:17am
I would be curious to hear about the switch to Battery Power.  Photos, description, lessons, etc.

Geoff
BenWalker View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2024 at 8:45am
Hi Gerry - probably a little late to the game, but the water pump is a dead simple replacement --- even I managed it!!!!

I'm struggling to figure out a way to share the direct link, but I documented everything (part numbers, places to order, pictures of parts and the little bit of grinding I did) on the Lake Ontario Laser 28 Facebook group.  I *think the below link will take you directly to the post.  If not, just go to the group and search for "water pump" and my post (Ben Walker) should come up directly!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1060256527327052/permalink/7376770785675563/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic