Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backstay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backstay
    Posted: 28 February 2021 at 3:49pm
Considering moving to synthetic backstay....Does anyone know the length of the original wire backstay?

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 10:10pm
Hi Ron
My backstay measures 35' 2".  You'll need to splice a small section of cable (12 to 18 inches) to attach the line to the mainsail.  When running downwind with the main out the line would be laying against the masthead where it feeds into the shive and and would get sliced otherwise.  I got rid of my cable halyard years ago.
Dick 
Dick #122
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 11:11pm
Ron sorry for confusion.  The back stay is 35' 2", But I also switched out the main halyard at the same time. 
Dick #122
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 11:33am
Thanks for the info and the clarification.  

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 12:34pm
I didn’t like a dyneema backstay for one reason, I found it harder to flick the backstay while gybing in lighter winds.
Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 3:22pm
Yeah...that makes sense.  Wire is likely more rigid.  I think I'm committed to the to dyneema though.  I'm happy to lose the weight, and I think the wear on my new mainsail leech is likely to be less with synthetic.  We'll see.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 4:57pm
Anyone use a backstay whip?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Geoff Coke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:06am
Mine has a whip, was installed when purchased so can't tell you much about it.  However, my back stay is dyneema and it does not interfere with my sail

Edited by Geoff Coke - 05 May 2021 at 12:50am
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:50am
I have a whip and dyneema as well . js
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic