Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Extended Pole Really Necessary For PHRF Racing.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extended Pole Really Necessary For PHRF Racing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Pole Really Necessary For PHRF Racing.
    Posted: 08 January 2021 at 8:18am
Hi Everyone,

As I renew my PHRF certificate for 2021, I started thinking about the 6 second per mile penalty for my extended pole.

It is my understanding that the OD spinnaker is a standard size and it is just the pole that is extended.    We sail mostly windward / lewards here in New England (at least at regattas).   There is obviously some point to point racing that goes on.   But I question whether it is really worth 6 seconds a mile to just have a longer pole.

Does anyone have any experience with a standard length pole?   I am considering building a carbon pole and I wonder why I shouldn't just build it to standard length and get my 6 seconds.

Thanks.
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 11:59am
If the length of my pole came up locally, I would argue that the 11.32 (longer pole) is raced as one design.  Realizing the counter point is its longer than J.  But if the boat is sailed in OD configuration with the 11.32 pole, isn't that the standard for the decision?  I believe Laser 28 OD racing all use the longer pole, but someone correct me if I am wrong. 
I have an ancient spinnaker that I believe is the original for the boat.  I suspect it was designed for the shorter pole.  There is definitely a difference in sail area between the original and my contemporary spinnakers which were designed to fly with the longer pole.  I wouldn't give up the sail area DW for 6 seconds a mile.  In my opinion, our boat does its best work in phrf downwind.   

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:26am
@Jamie - what did ever happen with the PHRF certificate? I was about to renew mine and this thread crossed my mind.
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 12:51pm
Sorry for the late reply. 

I just renewed my certificate as is...with the penalty pole.

I am going to measure my spin in the offseason and if it IS, infact, standard size, then I am going to shorten my pole and get the 6 seconds.
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2021 at 11:25am
The class spin is PHRF legal and not oversize but the pole is . You could, and some have , get an oversize spin to match the pole no hit I am told because you already take a hit for the pole (confirm with local PHRF).  Near as I can tell the way the boat came is the best . Those guys knew what they were doing . The longer pole gets the chute out from behind the main  and the bigger chute  tends to collapse in the middle . The class stuff works great . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic