Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ORR-EZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ORR-EZ
    Posted: 09 September 2020 at 6:54am
Has anyone received an ORR-Ez Certificate for their boat yet?

I was planning on doing a local regatta in a few weeks and found out that they are only racing to this rating rule.

Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 10:44am
Hey Jamie,

Did you get an ORR cert?  I've been looking at the Offshore Racing Rule website, but haven't seen a Laser 28 recorded yet.  Just curious about the numbers.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 11:18am
Here is a link to my rating online...

https://www.regattaman.com/cert_form.php?sku=h-1-2020-1617-11548-0-579

Generally, it slotted me in the same place as my PHRF rating with respect to other boats that I was racing against.

Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 1:44pm
Awesome.  Thanks.  Just went with the Lapper for rating?  I think thats a good move.  She goes to wind so much better with the lapper.
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 5:20pm
I notice your rating is for a headsail with no roach - What headsail are you using? The class lapper has a lot of roach , the lp you state is kinda between the genoa and lapper (max LP on the lapper is  3.12 M - you running something different ? I hear some guys cut a #2 for the boats or is it you are cut for a furler ? 
Never dealt with the Orr rating before so just curious . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 5:59pm
Hi John,

I'll be honest with you, when I filled out the ORR-EZ form I didn't read the question carefully enough.  I just assumed the roach question was about the main.   I probably need to fix that for next year.

When I bought the boat last year, it came with a 2010 vintage lapper from Doyle (I believe made in Montreal) that was in barely used condition.   I just had the battens converted to vertical and sailed with it that way so that I can put it on the furler.  I sail in predominatly light air and the cloth weight of the sail is just too heavy.   

My intention is to purchase a new lapper this winter.  I would like to buy a new sail from Evolution as I would expect that they are making the fastest sails (as they they are supporting a very active one design class).  I want a sail that can be rolled up when racing (ideally horizontal battens) and cloth weight suited for < 15 knots (I will use old lapper in stronger wind).    When I was talking to the people at RBS battens they indicated that their product can be used horizontally on roller furlers.   Not sure if Evolution will build me a sail with latest design and horizontal battens, but that is what I am looking for.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 5:32pm
I am told you can not support the standard Lapper roach with vertical battens. I am sure your sailmaker can work with it .  Now if you are measuring for the Genoa it I believe has no roach .  Mains can also have a ton of roach but the older north one seems to not but the boom is lower . 

Anyway I am no expert on sails , I just noticed the #'s were off .  
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 8:34pm
I have a roller furling carbon lapper, with roach.  Vertical battens.  Can be done.  Sailmaker can build in roach, but roller furling will take away a little sq. ft. 

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 8:17am
Nice - certainly PHRF legal . One day I may contemplate that . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 11:35am
Thanks Ron.

Who built your sail?   

I believe if you use the RBS battens you can have horizontal battens and the full roach.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 2:28pm
I actually have two roller furling lappers.  Both with vertical battens and roach.  My boat came to me with a cruising lapper built by Mack Sails.  It's a good, dacron, hardy sail.  Has the sacrificial sun cover material at the leech so it can be left on without a cover.  It might be better cut sail than my race lapper, but dreadfully heavy.  Haven't had it on in a long time.
The carbon lapper is by Doyle.  Since the Doyle purchase, I have established a relationship with a North Sails sail designer, so I'm likely to go with NS next time around.  I currently have a carbon main as well. The main is six years old and is showing wear/tear at the leech.  I'm getting a 3Di Raw main from NS to replace the Doyle carbon main.  

If you have sailmakers locally, thats a great asset.  We do not have anyone here in Louisville.

BTW - I have a carbon genoa too, but I'm not likely to ever purchase another genoa.  In my opinion, the balance of the boat and pointing ability with lapper far out weigh the sail area advantage of the genoa on our boat.  We always use the Lapper.  We do well in the small, local pond.
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 5:19pm
I have a 3dl genoa - crap sail , very disappointed in both the sail and the service and I probably wont ever go back to one or buy from North ever again . We have a number of local sail makers that are good  but with a small class fleet I work to stay class legal . So Dacron main and lapper . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 7:06pm
Yeah...I think the early days of 3Dl were shaky.  I have read other comments that agree with you.  It's a totally different product now.
No OD issues here.  There is one other Laser 28 racing though.  
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 9:15pm
Jamie, 
You know, this correspondence made me go look at some photos of my lapper under sail.  I'm back peddling a bit on what I wrote earlier.  Apologies.  There really isn't as much roach on my Doyle lapper as I was thinking there was.  I have not measured the sail.  The quote says it is 166 sq. ft.  
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 9:27pm
Have a look for yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/ItTw2p2WRNGkLLut5uBKWw.HhyF5frne6XtOwrvCytTFw

Edited by Foghorn - 15 December 2020 at 4:18pm
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 3:08pm
My 3dl was about 4 years ago , never was good from day 1 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 3:15pm
Sail looks great , more roach than you think . It goes near  straight up to the spreaders then in . That is how it is supposed to be.  You PHRF will be accurate . No worries at all BTW , not nit picking was just trying to understand the measurement and would love one day to go to a furler  so anyone that has one I pay attention to .  Great looking boat .  Love to see you down this way again - will see when we get it all back together . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 4:06pm
Here's good look at the roach of a class legal lapper, this is an Evolution sail.

Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 5:43pm
Nice picture , the roach is quite large on the lapper . How do I post a picture and I will post one of mine . 

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2020 at 2:05pm
Ron,  that is a good looking sail.   It doesn't have quite as much roach as the Evolution dacron lapper, but it is close.   

I mean if you compare the roach in your sail to the megles 24/20 or whatever is below you in that picture, you have much more.  

Although some may say your sail has more twist.  The twist is great to have in a light air venue which is what we have in Boston all summer long.

I am going to check with Evolution first and see what they would build me for a lighter air lapper.  Ideally they would mimic the latest design of OD sails as closely as they can.  

Does anyone know how often Evolution updates their L28 sail design?   I was very active in the Rhodes 19 class in Marblehead for many years.  Doyle was the sailmaker of choice.   They would update the designs of the sails every 2 years or so.  But we were all buying new sails every 2/3 years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic