Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Main halyard taper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Main halyard taper
    Posted: 02 December 2019 at 12:16am
Has anyone tapered their main halyard? I've got Maffioli Powergrip 8mm on there but have a nasty cover tear about halfway along that I haven't been able to repair well enough for it to last and it gets stuck in the clutch as we hoist and drop.  

So I'm considering stripping the cover off from the point of the tear onwards.  The problem is that the cover tear is about 45 feet from the end of the line, so I think if I strip the cover off that entire 45 feet, when the sail is hoisted the coverless part of the line will still be in the clutch.

Does anyone know the maximum amount of core you can have exposed on the main halyard and still have it grab in the cabin top clutch?  The mast I think is about 35 feet high and if we account for about 5 feet of run from the base of the mast to the cabin top clutch, this means a max of about 40 feet of exposed core?  Does this sound about right?

If this is the case then stripping to cover off my line won't work because I have more than 40 feet at either end after the cover damage.

Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 8:34am
The original main halyard had 38 feet of wire on it. It was designed so that the wire would exit the mast at full hoist and the wire to rope splice would lie between the mast base and the deck organizer. But that 38' of wire used 4" to nicropress the wire around the shackle and it took into account the the length of the splice approx. 12". 

The actual wire length once assembled was approx. 38' minus 16". The total length was 83'. If your halyard is the same overall length then there isn't enough cover left to make it work but if it's a longer halyard then you could move the cover some. 

Trying to splice an older halyard can be impossible so don't feel bad if you can't get it to work. If you want to know for sure what your options are for that halyard call Alex Nemet at Evolution Yachting in Montreal 438-887-9845 and let him know you are a client and request his advice, tell him I suggested you contact him. This man can splice nearly anything, if not perhaps he has a method to make it work for now.

Edited by Bill Layton - 02 December 2019 at 8:44am
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 1:06pm
My total length right now is 96 feet, so maybe I have enough to get the job done even if I need to shorten it by 5 feet or so.  Yeah I know splicing an old halyard can be a pain, but this is just a bury splics so maybe wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the advice Bill.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 2:35pm
Or go buy a piece of 5/16" double braid polyester line for cheap and use that cover.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2019 at 1:21pm
Chris,

I would shorten from the masthead end by first hooking the shackle to wherever you store it without the sail on (perhaps you use the spinnaker ring) then pull it through from the masthead end until you have sufficient line coming through the clutch. You don't need much to reach the spinnaker ring, just enough to grab, because when you attach the ultimate end to the top of the mainsail when stacked on the boom, it will be higher than that spinnaker ring and should give you enough halyard tail to initially yank the sail high enough to get the halyard on the winch, etc. Then cut the end off and put your new eye splice on it.

If you still don't have enough cover to do it that way, try slipping the over you have further along the halyard from the tail end and see if you can move the entire sleeve sufficiently too get it to go past the clutch with the halyard in the "sail hoisted position, but allowing for your reef(s). You don't really need a full halyard jacket all the way on the tail end of the tail end of the halyard.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic