Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Engine Issue
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Issue

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 15 September 2002
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 527
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 12:28pm
I assume the wiring from the ign panel to the engine looks normal? No swollen or half melted wires for example? If that's all normal I would replace the switch asap because it obviously has worn or compromised electrical contacts inside. It doesn't take much for a worn out ign switch to melt the wiring harness and light the boat on fire. In 1985 we had delivered a new L28 to a client in Florida and the ign switch was defective and caused the wiring harness to melt and the boat caught on fire and sank to the bottom of it's slip. It was a total write-off. The insurance concluded that was the cause of the fire. I've also seen a few owners need to replace the ign switch so this can and does happen.  
Back to Top
WJRyan View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 12 February 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Status: Offline
Points: 185
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2019 at 12:30pm
Total confession & lesson learned.

Followed all the steps noted above and found good and tight connections, full continuity from point a to b to engine and beyond.  No build up anywhere, and to be sure I cleaned and wire brushed contacts everywhere.  Then a wise man (Allen to be accurate) asks me, what is the battery reading?  I measure and it say 12 1/2 V.  Then he asks, how's the water?  I respond.... water?  Never knew to check, all batteries in my past were sealed so the 3 yro battery was dry & toasted.

Lesson learned #1:  Check the water in your battery monthly.  Feel free to send me your email and I'll add you to me Outlook reminder!
Lesson learned #2: Allen suggested I put the trickle charger on a timer, said it wasn't a good idea to have it cooking all the time.

Results are a new battery and everything is working fine.   And I learned some new things!!


Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 1.000 seconds.