Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

electrical 101

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electrical 101
    Posted: 09 April 2012 at 11:08pm

So when I bought my boat last fall the owner stated that he had trouble with the stop solenoid, or shutting down the boat. Last summer he installed a new key switch and bought a new stop solenoid. So this spring I installed the solenoid and started looking at the wire diagram and the back of the switch plate and traced what wires went where and what they were for. Some things did not look right and I call upon the group to confirm my thoughts.

1. The stop solenoid wire (black) was connected to group of connection that held the green wires, while on the key switch the black wire located at the nine o'clock position (starboard) goes to a connection all by itself. The wire diagram I have is a little fuzzy but it looks like these wires should link up, I am right?

2. The audible alarm sounds off when I put the key in shut down, (activate the stop solenoid) in both wire configuration as describe above. However I only get a chirp with all the warning lights when I turn the key one click to the right (pushed in). Shouldn't I get an audible alarm instead of the chirp?

3. If the engine is running and you are not able to shut down the engine via the key, what is the backup plan?

Thank-you!
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 2:26pm
Another follow-up question;

the manual talks about testing the water sensor (sensor that sits between the membranes to alert of any water leak) by short circuiting the sensor on the electrical panel. So I follow the 2 wires from the sensor to where they connect to the mount on the engine. Is this where I am to short circuit? I tried and I have no audible alarm. Suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic