Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dull Hull Gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dull Hull Gelcoat
    Posted: 10 October 2003 at 12:12pm

The hull of my boat is red and now has a washed out faded red look now.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to restore the color without painting?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2003 at 11:04pm
John,
Check out the product Vertglass on www.MarineStore.com
They also make great at the dock hull scrubbers, I've had one for ten years and ordering a new one.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2003 at 12:37pm
George probably has the right idea. I have never used Vertglass, but over time the hull will oxidize. If left for a long period, a compound can be used to remove this top layer of residue. The effectiveness will depend on the grit in the compounds. Generally, products will suggest what they are for...like "restorer" might suggest it will restore the shine of your hull. There are many products out there. Some are marine specific. I use 3M products. The make a restorer and wax in one. Pretty common to find. Also I know several people who have used automotive compounds with much success. Lastly, a good buffer is key. If you don't own one, I suggest renting, as they are expensive.

Good luck.
Scott
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2003 at 8:16pm
I have not used VERTGLASS as yet, but one of the reasons I like the idea as explained on the website is they also supply a REMOVER. This is VERY important if you or future owners ever have to paint the hull. Which someone will EVENTUALLY if the hull is a dark colour. As I understand it from the Interlux Paints people, ANYTHING you put on the hull has to be completely removed before painting and this is not always a simple (read inexpensive) task. Some synthetic car waxes can be a problem as I understand it.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2004 at 4:17pm
I used VERTGLASS spring of 2003 and am so far very happy. I basicaly followed there directions but cleaned the boat with FSR and then lighlty sanded and discoolorations or scratches first. I plan to add a  coat or two each year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic